Friday, November 11, 2016

Our Teens on Election Day


WHAT A WEEK! An emotionally driven week by the presidential election that took place on Tuesday night. We have a new president that was elected by winning more electoral votes. President-Elect Donald Trump. I'm sure you and your teenager talked about the results....or maybe not. I'm sure it has crossed your mind about what it will be like during the four years. I know I did, but do you realize that our teenager will be voting in the next presidential election in 2020?

After I cast my "private and undisclosed" vote, I walked out of the voting site realizing that my son will be voting in the next presidential election. I was excited because he gets to experience one of his legal rights after turning 18 years old. So how do we prepare our teenage for the next presidential or any other election?

For starters, as difficult it can be for us, we have to understand that our teenager has an OPINION. Their views may not be the same as ours. Therefore, we must RESPECT their views and their vote.
My son asked me the other day which political party I belong to. I told him that I am not registered with a set party. I was always told (when I approached my first time voting in 1998) to vote Democrat all the way. I did what I was told but as I got older I would ask my family, "Why? Why vote Democrat only?" They shared their reasons but I wasn't satisfied. So during the next election I listened to both parties views. From there on I choose whoever I felt was best qualified.

I then preceded to tell my son that he must make that decision for himself. He must choose who is the best candidate to take office in any election that is up for grabs, by listening and watching the debates and interviews for himself. Is that a nervous thing to do? Not really or maybe it is for some! Just as we don't like anyone forcing their views upon us, we can't force our teenagers to vote for people that WE are voting for because 'WE SAID SO'. Doing this, how will our teenagers develop their own opinions and views?

We have 4 years left with our teens. After 4 years they will be off to college, trade school, the military or straight to the workforce. They have to know why they have certain views, beliefs, and/or opinions besides "because that's how I was raised " or "because my parents said so." They have to learn to state their reasons and give sound explanations. We have to understand that they are part of us but they are also individuals.

But one thing I did tell my son was that his vote counts regardless of what others may say. Some teenagers are turned away from voting because they follow the "now norm" of my vote will not count. Discouraging our teens from voting can only hurt them and us, in our old age, in the future. But the decision that my son or your teenager choose will be THEIR DECISION as an adult. We did the same thing when we became adults and got a taste of freedom. We made decisions that our parents disagreed with. And we were quick to tell them that they have to respect our choice. That will eventually apply to us in the next couple of years.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter you are absolutely right,for God has given everyone their own mind.tradition can stunt the growth of our children's mind. We must encourage them to think outside of the box, to stop placing limitations on their abilities. You are a perfect example of God's gift.

    ReplyDelete